The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:20 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
... what they say. The watch has to speak to you ...

Before I went to the AD I was almost certain that the Colt Auto II would be my first Breitling. Especially after reading the great review on this site. But it just felt small. If Breitling could only make it bigger ... the design is really nice. The Superocean didn't feel right. And then came the Blackbird which immediately spoke to me. It felt good, it felt right, a nice weight, the brushed look is exactly what I was looking for. Simple and sturdy. The dial is perfection. The Pilot bracelet is ideal. After the Blackbird I tried several Rolexes, several other Breitlings (the Skyracer was also one of my favs but in the end it didn't do it for me) but I kept coming back to the Blackbird. Nothing surpassed it. Nothing had the presence of it but was also understated at the same time.

Unfortunately, the only Blackbird they had had a small dent in the bezel. So, I didn't buy it (yet). I want to make my own dents (not really but I am sure it is going to happen).

Also, the price seemed quite high. Anybody know what the RRP in the Netherlands or EU is? And can I/should I expect a discount?

Thanks.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:41 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hi Mike,

The Blackbird is a great watch. It's on a very short list for my next Breitling. I'm not sure of the price in Euro but in the US the retail price is $6050 on a bracelet. It would be less on a leather or rubber strap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
The price for Blackbird with Pilot bracelet is 5130€.
Discount varies from AD to AD, in EU it usually goes from 5-15%.
Note that prices will go up from 10-20% starting around the May 1st.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

emottram wrote:
Hi Mike,

The Blackbird is a great watch. It's on a very short list for my next Breitling. I'm not sure of the price in Euro but in the US the retail price is $6050 on a bracelet. It would be less on a leather or rubber strap.

The AD were asking for 5110 Euros, so about $8,084.55. That sounds crazy compared to your $6050 which is 3824 Euros.

Thanks for the info, bnewbie. So, they basically offered it for the normal Breitling RRP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:06 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

chmre wrote:
emottram wrote:
Hi Mike,

The AD were asking for 5110 Euros, so about $8,084.55. That sounds crazy compared to your $6050 which is 3824 Euros.

Yes and that's before the discount. It would be $4840 US with a 20% discount.

Not sure what customs rules are like for you, but these guys are selling it for even cheaper. They are not an official AD, but sell genuine Bretlings. However you will not get the official Breitling warranty.

http://www.authenticwatches.com/breitli ... -b811.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
Prices in USA are significatively lower than in EU.
When you buy from AuthenticWatches be sure that the serial no. is intact. You'll have to pay custom expenses and don't have Breitling 2 year warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:14 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

:shock: with that price differential, I'd get a cheap weekenf trip to NYC and wear it home (send the boxes back home by USPS)

Not that i'd do that of course... :wink:

Current:- Navi World, Coral SO, Panerai 219, Sea Dweller, Suunto Core etc

CORAL CLUB FOUNDING FATHER
:coralclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Just a note here....if you really like the brushed look of a Blackbird, I would try to get it now. The new ones for 2008 are going to be all polished, and the price is going up. There is a thread about this either in Discuccions or Galleries about the 2008 models.
I kind of got stung on this one. I love the Blackbird, and it was going to be my 60th Birthday gift in about a year. However, the Blacksteel came along, and I got it already. If I can still afford a Blackbird when I'm 60, I will probably get it, but I am just not sure about the polished look.
The only thing is, you never know until you see them in person.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:40 am 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

doctor diesel wrote:
:shock: with that price differential, I'd get a cheap weekenf trip to NYC and wear it home (send the boxes back home by USPS)

Not that i'd do that of course... :wink:

I agree with that statement. Start making calls and get it set up. Fly down for a couple of days and have fun.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Dropped in to see my AD today, to have the strap and bracelet changed on a watch. While there, he showed me the new '08 Chronolog, of which they unfortunately only had one copy, or I would have been given one.
Anyway, it was pointed out to me that although the Blackbird is coming out with an all polished finish, the combo polished/brushed finish is also still available. So, still the same Blackbird but with the option of having all polished or polished/brushed.
I was floundering around trying to think how I could come up with almost 6 grand to get the brushed one before it was discontinued. Now it looks like I can wait a few years.
Thought that was good news.
Damn, I forgot to look at the SuperOcean pages when I was in there. I find that the Chronolog gives the most realistic looking shots, over the website that is.
Cheers,
Carl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

carlhaluss wrote:
Dropped in to see my AD today, to have the strap and bracelet changed on a watch. While there, he showed me the new '08 Chronolog, of which they unfortunately only had one copy, or I would have been given one.
Anyway, it was pointed out to me that although the Blackbird is coming out with an all polished finish, the combo polished/brushed finish is also still available. So, still the same Blackbird but with the option of having all polished or polished/brushed.
I was floundering around trying to think how I could come up with almost 6 grand to get the brushed one before it was discontinued. Now it looks like I can wait a few years.
Thought that was good news.
Damn, I forgot to look at the SuperOcean pages when I was in there. I find that the Chronolog gives the most realistic looking shots, over the website that is.
Cheers,
Carl

Thanks for the info. Good to know that the brushed model will still be available in the future (the AD I was at yesterday didn't mention that). Definitely takes off some pressure of getting the watch right now (although I want it bad). Going to the US is not an option at the moment. Waiting for the second baby to arrive in the next few weeks. I guess the chronograph on the Blackbird would be useful to time the arrival of the baby. :-)

Saw an excellent offer from a UK dealer who offers it for the US prize but he is not an authorized dealer. And since I noticed the dent in the Blackbird at the AD yesterday I am somewhat hesitant to buy over the internet without having seen the watch in detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:51 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Don't forget that Chronolog 08 is the 07 / 08 range. The watches announced at Basel will be in Chronolog 09, but you may find that the others may be discontinued as production shifts to the new variants.

That said, if the Blackbird is going to be offered in brushed or polished that's a very good thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Roffensian wrote:
Don't forget that Chronolog 08 is the 07 / 08 range. The watches announced at Basel will be in Chronolog 09, but you may find that the others may be discontinued as production shifts to the new variants.

That said, if the Blackbird is going to be offered in brushed or polished that's a very good thing!

Actually, the one that my AD had was the newest one, likely 08/09. It had all of the new models announcement at Basel in it, too.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:41 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
carlhaluss wrote:
Actually, the one that my AD had was the newest one, likely 08/09. It had all of the new models announcement at Basel in it, too.
Cheers,
Carl

Carl - was that Chronolog you saw an AD version (i.e. bigger) or a new print of the "customer" version? Only asking as the Chronolog I has none of the new Basel 08 models. I always think it's odd that the new catalogue comes out in Jan/Feb and yet Baselworld (with all the new models that don't make the Chronolog) is in April! You'd have thought they coincide the two....

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:13 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

hi,

i bought my blackbird in the states ( i'm from belgium).
they sell it for 6050 without a discount BUT in the states the tax is not included ! this is differnt in europe!
the us sales tax is mostly 7.5% so if you have a 15% discount its only a 7.5% discount !

remember this !