Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why is my watch fast?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:13 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
Something weird is going on here. My Colt automatic is a little over 2 years old. After I had it for about 8 months, I sent it back to Breitling because it was running too fast. They "calibrated" it and cleaned it and all that rot, and it seemed fine. Now it's running fast again. It does not reside anywhere near a cellular phone, if it's not on my wrist it is in a battery powered Orbita winder, sitting next to another identical winder, and they are in a cabinet not near anything else, no electricity, cell phone, regular phone, television... NOTHING.

OK - at work my left hand is approximately 18" from my laptop and 18" from my cell phone and (yes, you guessed it) 18" from my LCD monitor. Surely that's not so close as to cause problems, is it?

I haven't checked with my AD yet to see if they can demagnetize it, if in fact, that is the problem.

It is about a minute a week fast. This is unacceptable for a $50 watch, much less a multi-thousand dollar Swiss timepiece.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:07 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
How fast is it running?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:47 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
mjb wrote:
Something weird is going on here. My Colt automatic is a little over 2 years old. After I had it for about 8 months, I sent it back to Breitling because it was running too fast. They "calibrated" it and cleaned it and all that rot, and it seemed fine. Now it's running fast again. It does not reside anywhere near a cellular phone, if it's not on my wrist it is in a battery powered Orbita winder, sitting next to another identical winder, and they are in a cabinet not near anything else, no electricity, cell phone, regular phone, television... NOTHING.

OK - at work my left hand is approximately 18" from my laptop and 18" from my cell phone and (yes, you guessed it) 18" from my LCD monitor. Surely that's not so close as to cause problems, is it?

I haven't checked with my AD yet to see if they can demagnetize it, if in fact, that is the problem.

It is about a minute a week fast. This is unacceptable for a $50 watch, much less a multi-thousand dollar Swiss timepiece.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael

My Colt Auto II that is a little over 2 years old is running fast as well. I just checked the watch and it is approximately 1 min 15 seconds fast.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:51 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

BreitlingNut wrote:
mjb wrote:

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael

My Colt Auto II that is a little over 2 years old is running fast as well. I just checked the watch and it is approximately 1 min 15 seconds fast.

Per day?

If so that should be a simple regulation for the AD.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
mjb wrote:

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael

If it was affected by magnetic fields I believe you would see much more difference than 1 minute/week. I think you need a new calibration, but I don't know why you would need another one so soon. You haven't dropped or banged your watch recently, have you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:20 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

aleister wrote:
You haven't dropped or banged your watch recently, have you?

Absolutely not. I am very careful, and I haven't even banged it up against a wall or door - or if I have, it was not a severe hit by any means.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe my internal magnetic resonance - my chi, if you will - is screwing up the watch.

I had a girlfriend once who had a very strange aura. I gave her a PDA to help her stay organized, and she would kill the batteries in a matter of days. It was her. She'd suck the life force out of anything. She certainly shortened my life... :roll:

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
I know, it quite gets to you to be careful. Sorry, then I have no other suggestion then another calibration trip.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:32 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Oops, missed the minute per week :oops:

That's not magnetised for sure - it would be way more than that.

It may have been regulated with a low mainspring, if you wear it every day then have it regulated with a full wind and if it is still slightly out adjust the way that you position it overnight and see if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:54 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Interesting suggestion Roff, I'll keep an eye on it. When I had my Steelfish, I wore the Colt about every other day (the other day being on the winder). Now that it's gone :cry: I'll be wearing this every day, which means that it sits at night and winds down. We'll see if that makes a difference.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:09 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I have a breitling colt chronometre automatic which is almost five years old. Since I have lots of watches, I rarely use this and was just sitting in my drawer. I sometimes wear it about 5 days a month the most.

Just this month I used it everyday. I noticed that 2 weeks ago that the time was 5 minutes faster, I thought maybe I wound the wrong time up and reset it back the original time, and this week I noticed its 5 minutes ahead.

So I start to keep track of it, 2 days ago put in on the correct time, now its 4 minutes in advance.
Its 2 minutes a day!

What should I do? I work in an office in front of the PC everyday, is this the culprit?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:08 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Alpha-Q wrote:
I have a breitling colt chronometre automatic which is almost five years old. Since I have lots of watches, I rarely use this and was just sitting in my drawer. I sometimes wear it about 5 days a month the most.

Just this month I used it everyday. I noticed that 2 weeks ago that the time was 5 minutes faster, I thought maybe I wound the wrong time up and reset it back the original time, and this week I noticed its 5 minutes ahead.

So I start to keep track of it, 2 days ago put in on the correct time, now its 4 minutes in advance.
Its 2 minutes a day!

What should I do? I work in an office in front of the PC everyday, is this the culprit?

You told us the problem yourself - it's five years old. If a watch of that age is unable to keep time within COSC specs then it's time for a service.

The fact that it doesn't run for much of the time may have shortened the service interval slightly as the oils can run away from where the lubrication is needed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

My colt automatic is only about 1 month old, and it is running fast about 2 min 15 sec. I am careful with my watches, so It never got dropped on a floor or hitted a wall. What could be the problem? Manufacturer malfunction? It is really upsetting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
AAA wrote:
My colt automatic is only about 1 month old, and it is running fast about 2 min 15 sec. I am careful with my watches, so It never got dropped on a floor or hitted a wall. What could be the problem? Manufacturer malfunction? It is really upsetting.

2 mins 15 secs per what? If you mean in that month, then it's within COSC spec, which is -4/+6 secs per day.

That is, 2 mins 15 secs = 135 seconds. 135 seconds divided by 30 days = 4.5 secs per day. Which is ok.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:51 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

TomP wrote:
AAA wrote:

2 mins 15 secs per what? If you mean in that month, then it's within COSC spec, which is -4/+6 secs per day.

That is, 2 mins 15 secs = 135 seconds. 135 seconds divided by 30 days = 4.5 secs per day. Which is ok.

And if it's per day it may well be magnetised.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:33 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Roffensian wrote:
TomP wrote:
AAA wrote:

And if it's per day it may well be magnetised.

Thanks alot for the quick response. 2 min and 15 second as I measured it last week, now it is closer to 3 min. I have adjusted the time on it at the beginning of the month. I don't get aroumd any magents really, so I dont know. I'll be taking it to the shop next week, and I will be updating this post on what is the outcome.