The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:52 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Good evening all... Have been a fan of the site for quite some time now, but have only recently become a member. As a soon to be Ling owner, I was hoping to get some feedback from the group as to what my first purchase should be. After a long four years in medical school, I have decided to reward myself with what has been the object of my affection for entirely too long. This being said, I have reached a dilemma... I am having a difficult time deciding between 3 watches. I have narrowed my search to the Bentley Motors (black dial), Bentley 6.75 (black dial as well), or the Super Avenger (you guessed it... black dial). Factoring price out of the equation, any suggestions as to which piece I should become the proud owner of? Many Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:05 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Those are all BIG watches (I have an SA)! Are you planning on wearing it in your practice? I think they would be too big and flashy for that. You obviously like the big ones, so I would say get the 6.75 or the SA if your not wearing it to work in. And if you get the SA you COULD factor in price because its the least expensive of your selection!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun! I would definitely go for either one of the Bentley models. If you go strictly for aesthetics, I think the 6.75 is the more outstanding. I particularly like the new movement, I think B44 with the large aperture calendar. I think it has a cleaner dial, less cluttered than the Bentley Motors. However, if you want distinctive features, the 30-second centre hand on the BM which goes round the dial in 30 seconds, allows you to read fractions of a second quite accurately, and the variable tachometer which is quite unique, but a feature which I don't quite understand fully. The Bentley models look dressier and more for a professional to me. That's not to say that the SA isn't a great looking timepiece. I personally think that just about any Breitling looks good with anything, and is appropriate for just about any occasion. I would say, though, that the Bentley definitely has the edge in that regard. If I could affort it, I would likely be getting a Bentley 6.75. Don't forget the incredible-looking back which is unique to the 6.75.
Cheers and really enjoy the new watch,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:39 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Luckily, I have 6 ( actually, 5 and a half) years of residency ahead of me before I need to worry about any sort of practice! Although I hesitate to say it, I wear a simple casio g-shock while in the hospital. Would much rather worry about the patient as opposed to my watch! Given my wrist size, I do tend to gravitate towards the larger watches. Thanks for the input!

~Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:05 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Whatever you choose, Daniel, you can't go wrong. Welcome to the club!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I have a Motors, and a Motors T (T should be here wednesday) as well as the Super Avenger.. and if price is not a factor, I would easily go with either the Motors or the 6.75.. if the Big Date is cool to you, get the 6.75, if you prefer the nifty complication of the 30 seconds chronograph, then the Motors. It also depends whether or not you like the big date on the dial. Personally they are so similar to me that it doesn't really matter, and their price is the same. To me it was more important to have one with the knurled bezel and one with the machine turned bezel and brushed finish.

The SA is a sweet watch, lots of bang for buck, but when you look at them, the Bentley's are much more detailed and beautiful watches up close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:40 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Welcome aboard Daniel!
If money is no option, then I would say get the Motors everytime. The 30 second chronograph movement is way more unique than the others. The movement in the 6.75 is essentially the same as the Blackbird (and the old Crosswind Special), and the calibre 13 in SA is the same as in probably 70% of the Breitling range!! Not that there is anything wrong with the other two and they are superb in their own ways (I own an SA myself), but if you are really treating yourself, then the Motors IMHO should be a no-brainer.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:02 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Welcome aboard and whatever your choice is, It gone be a good one!

Philip Stein Teslar Large Chronograph
Rodania Dakar Chronograph

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:13 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
DrJazz wrote:
Factoring price out of the equation, any suggestions as to which piece I should become the proud owner of? Many Thanks!

Well, factoring price out of the equation as requested - all three :D

I'd start with the 6.75, then the Motors - but by then you'll be looking for different dial options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Definately go with the 6.75, my absolute favorite. The Motors is sweet but a bit too busy and that 5 oclock side date looks terrible in my opinion. Others would think the big date on the 6.75 looks bad but thats personal opinion. Take a good look at both at your AD and see which you like best.

The Super Avenger....welll....its not my favorite. The fit and finish are subpar compared to the rest of the line. It is a cheap entry into the super size club so if all you care about is size then go for it.

I can tell you this, I have had my 6.75 for two months now and buyers remorse + ZERO. What an awesome watch. Here is a pic to help your decision (went with the black dial myself)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:30 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Well of course, you're quite mad - how on earth do you imagine treating people while wearing a 6.75? It's not the watch that bothers me, more the counter-weight on the other wrist which is likely to do severe damage - of course, this may be an advantage in some circumstances...

Seriously, as a 6.75 owner - a watch that I love for it's "bling" - I can only say that you must try them all on first, and gauge the weights. These are HEAVY watches when worn for any length of time.

Just my 2c - don't get me wrong, the choice shows taste :wink:

Just seen Altairs post - here's my white faced 6.75...obviously FAR classier :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I would think of a JLC or a classic Zenith if I was looking for class, definately not a monster Bentley 6.75. Anyway who are we kidding? No Bentley owner is looking for a classy watch. I mean lets face it we are just compensating for our smaller....em nevermind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:40 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Nothing whatever to do with class Altair - it's down to practicalities - I have a lot of difficulty imagining a doctor treating a 'delicate' patient with divers weights strapped to his wrists - admit it, the Bentley is not a light-weight watch now is it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I was replying to your "White face is classier" comment, and tongue in cheek.

The Bentley is a heavy watch, I would not have it as my only watch. As a Doctor may I suggest the Rolex GMT Master IIC or the DateJust (Every doctor I ever saw had one of these)

Also, in the Breitling area, the Chrono Evo is awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:49 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

"Tongue firmly in cheek"

How about a SWATCH?

:wink: