The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 2 posts
I am a bad, bad, naughty man. My consumer-grade Citizen Navihawks kept breaking again and again over the years, so I decided it was time to invest in a nice watch that would last me for years. (hopefully life!) As a pilot, I needed something aviation-oriented, and after much research decided that Breitling really was the way for me to go, eventually choosing the Airwolf. So, thanks to our professor Roffensian's recommendation and my new friend at La Swiss, I ordered the Airwolf with Co-Pilot module. See my thread all about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10865

I felt guilty about buying such a nice watch just for myself, and this is a special time for my wife and I. Her cheap-o watch is also broken, and we just celebrated our 12 year wedding anniversary and our 2nd child was born, (both girls) :roll: right as I came home from a long overseas deployment. So after much thought and research, I also ordered a Cockpit Lady for my wife. The idea was to buy a "His and Hers" watch set as surprise presents that we would remember fondly for some time. Unfortunately, the Cockpit Lady is severely backordered, and from the time I ordered it in April, it has been pushed back to May, June, and now sometime in July! :shock: :shock: :shock:

But wait... there's more. So I happened to pick up the Airwolf in person, (getting great customer service, by the way) and when I was there I fell in LOVE with a new Chronomat. It really is truly amazing how no pictures, no fancy websites or professional advertisements, can really portray what Breitlings are like in person. Once you see and feel them in real life, they radiate a completely different level of class and quality. However, I was riding the "new purchase high" of picking up my new beautiful Airwolf, and I REALLY did not need another new watch. So I took it off, and decided there was no way I was going to let myself even consider it that day. So I spent that week appreciating my Airwolf, and kept the Chronomat in the back of my mind. At the end of the week, I was going to leave the area, and decided to go back into La Swiss one more time to discuss options and take another look at the Chronomat and other watches they had. (for appreciation, really, not decided on buying anything)

... to cut the story short, I ended up walking out not only with the Chronomat, but with a crocodile strap accessory for it, and a two-tone bracelet order for the wife's Cockpit Lady order, too. :oops: Honestly, it's not that I got carried away, or got sweet-talked by the dealer. (really... honest!) :D It's just that everything aligned, being at the store in person, working FANTASTIC deals on the items, having the perfect Chronomat there for me, a good CAD/USD exchange rate, and getting a last opportunity for a purchase before the 13-16% Breitling price hike that's about to happen.

So... here's some of my thoughts on the Chronomat. See the other thread for my Airwolf thoughts, and I'll post about the Cockpit Lady when the order does actually come in:

- Like I said, this is the PERFECT Chronomat for me. Having bought the Airwolf, and with a black face, ***IF*** I was going to buy another watch, it would have to be significantly different in appearance and function, but still meet my own styling preferences. So the Airwolf is for my flying and aviation-related duties. The Chronomat will be for special and social events. The Airwolf is all steel, and I LOVE not only the two-tone appearance of the Chronomat, but I've always had a thing for the ROSE gold especially.

- La Swiss actually had the exact same Chronomat with black face, which I've always liked, and I also loved it in person. But I just liked the blue-face a bit better, and with the Airwolf already being black-faced, I had to go with the blue 100%.

- No doubt about it, if I got a Chronomat, I HAD to have the Roman numerals. That just makes the Chronomat to me. (side note, but face numbers of any kind on the new B-01 are too much for me, with the existing "Tron" numbers on the B-01 bezel--saw that for the 1st time at La Swiss as well)

- On my Airwolf, the one small thing that tickles me pink is the look of the backlighting when actuated. There's actually two tiny things like that about the Chronomat I love: (1) The gold Breitling wings on the back of the SS clasp of the two-tone bracelet is a great touch. (see pic below) and (2) giving my wrist a little flick and raising it to my ears, I can hear the watch gears just whirring away inside. Makes me smile.

- Boy, if I thought the Airwolf got fingerprints easily and hairline scratches in the polished metal, it's nothing like the two-tone Chronomat! Especially the gold on the Chrono... holy crap, does that get scratched easily! Have mercy on the pics below!

- So far, I'm not too big of a fan of the rider tabs. On the very first day of wearing the Chrono, I caught the tabs on my inner sleeve as I put on a shirt, pulling out a thread. I'm preferring the tab-less Airwolf in that sense.

- In my Airwolf discussion, I mention that the Airwolf pulls and rotates towards my outer wrist, and I find myself repeatedly grabbing it and rotating it back towards my body for a bit easier read. I thought it was a product of the Co-Pilot module, but the Chronomat is doing it too. Must be a function of the heft/bulk of the watches.

- I thought the small differences in the boxes for the Airwolf and Chronomat were interesting. Different outer box prints, Slightly larger inner black box for the Chrono. Silver "Breitling" printing on the box for the Airwolf, gold for the Chrono. Front flap of the yellow outer box folds down on the Chrono for some reason... I got a small kick out of that.

- A friend of mine that was at the store with me for pickup commented that the watches look like they're "wet" or have liquid metal, the polish is so sharp. Rather cool, but I can tell that the polish isn't going to stay that clean for long, the way they're accumulating hairline surface scratches.

- As I mentioned, I got a brown Crocodile leather Breitling strap for the Chronomat as well. As soon as I pick up a Bergeon tool, I'll swap it on, and take some pics of that as well.

- That's enough posting for now. ... and that's CERTAINLY MORE than enough watch-buying for now. Sheesh, what have you guys done to me? While these are more than I need, I really did get great deals on them, and I think they are good, solid purchases that I'll be happy with for years, and years. I shouldn't really have any need to buy another one for a long, long time. :) Again, please excuse some of the pictures, I'm not as good as some of you other guys. And yes, I do realize that while polishing for a couple of these shots, I knocked the bezel out of alignment by a click. Mea Culpa! :)

Club Member #0070
2009 TT Chrono Evo w/Rose gold, blue face
2009 Airwolf w/black face, Co-Pilot module
2009 TT Lady Cockpit w/Mother-of-Pearl, Diamond face for the wife

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:05 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
Wildblue....CONGRATS! A great story and great that your wife like Breitlings to. I think for such a large purchase you may want to go to your AD and hit them up for a Breitling jacket. I'm sure they could get one if they contacted Breitling, just a thought. Again congrats and add more great photos when you can. :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:11 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Chalk up another victim of Breitlingitis!!!

Congratulations - already a great collection.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:11 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Nice selections. I love the TT Chronomat. Here's a tip, put your watch on after your shirt. I used to do the same thing with mine and strings would be stuck in the rider tabs.

Breitling Chrono SuperOcean
Breitling Avenger Seawolf
Omega Seamaster Pro James Bond LE Co-Axial Auto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:37 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

So..........when are you picking up a Navitimer to add to that collection? :D

Breitling Transocean Chronograph LE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:33 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 5 posts
Fantastic watches. Really nice combo on that Chronomat!

A SuperQuartz in the collection is great for setting everything else!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:50 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Roffensian wrote:

Congratulations - already a great collection.

Someone say Breitlingitis?? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks, fellas!

RICK S wrote:
I think for such a large purchase you may want to go to your AD and hit them up for a Breitling jacket. I'm sure they could get one if they contacted Breitling, just a thought.

Really? If you're serious, I am SO there. I'm hooked now, and do want to buy some select pieces of Breitling merchandise. Those hats sure are a nice start, I tell you what.

Roffensian wrote:

Yeah... that fits, no doubt about it. So can I tell everyone that you're the one that infected me? :lol:

Scarlet Evolution wrote:
Here's a tip, put your watch on after your shirt. I used to do the same thing with mine and strings would be stuck in the rider tabs.

You're right about that. Going to have to do adjust the routine!

kstone wrote:
So..........when are you picking up a Navitimer to add to that collection? :D

Ehhhhhhhhh.... no tempting! No tempting!!!!!! No, I'm plenty good with these. If someday in the future I MAYBE splurge again, I think it would be a Blackbird, or the Rolex Daytona I posted in the Grail thread.

[EDIT: Meant to say Blackbird, not Blackhawk] :oops:

Club Member #0070

Last edited by Wildblue on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:29 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Wildblue, In regards to the Breitling jacket contact you AD and ask them to contact Breitling for you. I'm sure if they advise the large purchase you did with them Breitling will hook you up. Let them know you want the flight jacket and you can always grab a hat later. I have one of the jackets and it is really high quailty. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The Bergeon pin tool I ordered arrived today, so I finally swapped out the Chronomat bracelet for the crocodile strap to see how it looks. I really like the look of it, for more of a casual, or country-club style. The leather is VERY stiff, though. I'm going to try wearing it really tight at first, as shown, to get some bend in the thickest part by the watch head. Otherwise, the straps just try to stay straight, pinching the sides of my wrist going straight down, while holding the head slightly off my wrist. I'd VERY much like to hear if anyone has suggestions on how to soften up the leather so that it curves to teh wrist better.

A bunch more pics to compare with the bracelet pics above.

Club Member #0070

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:01 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

It really rocks with crocs :-)

But if you wear any tighter, your hand might fall off.

One way to shape the leather, is to store it around something with the aprox same size and shape as your arm. Its a little bit less painful than keeping it on your wrist.

Regards

Mattias

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:51 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Wow :shock:
Those are som rockin pieces!
Fortunately you have an understanding wife :mrgreen:
Hope to to join you all in the club soon.

-Ram

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:41 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I love the TT chronomat, that's a beauty! Looks great on the Crco too, nice job! I would like to see some wrist shots of the Airwolf with co-pilot if you have any?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks, yeah, after putting the strap on it, I put it around the black cushion overnight, in the original Bakelite box. I've been wearing the watch tight all day today, and it's starting to soften up a bit and conform. Maybe it just takes a few days.

As for my Airwolf, yeah, I've got a separate thread on it, with some wrist shots! Go here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10865

Club Member #0070

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:22 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Congrats on a great watch! Looks good on your wrist. As regards Breitling's leather straps:
They are stiffy, it takes around 3 - 6 days to make the strap bend nicely around your wrist.

V.