Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Navitimer 92
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:43 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Good Day! Newbie here.:) Would just like to politely ask for your thoughts and opinions regarding the one and only Breitling in my stash, a Navitimer 92 A30022. Same model featured in https://www.acollectedman.com/products/ ... 7878169091. Inputs regarding its authenticity and collectibility would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Navitimer 92
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:47 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
You have a nice watch there. In terms of the collectibility of the model, examples are generally available on eBay, Chrono24 and elsewhere, but after 25-odd years, good ones are getting rarer. As just a watch, the 38mm size of the 92 may be a negative to those used to modern watch sizes, but it is still a large watch when compared to other vintage watches. However, classic Navitimers start at 40mm and go all the way up to 46mm for some modern version, so the 92 is an outlier for that type, which may work against it for those who are looking for a Navitimer, but a blessing for those with smaller wrists.

While there will always be mixed views about "tropical" dials and other degradation caused by age labeled as patina, there is no doubt that those features are considered collectable by many right now. To that end, your watch will be desirable to some, which may attract a premium. However, while yours looks similar the one at the A Collected Man website, that one has much more to endear it to collectors over and above the patina. Firstly, that one has the full set of boxes and papers. Secondly, it has evidence of servicing, and has been recently overhauled. Thirdly, all parts that were replaced during servicing has been included in the sale. These factors are very important to collectors. That said, that watch looks like it has been significantly polished, which makes it nice and shiny for the fashion set, but detracts from its collectibility.

Yours does not look to have been polished, and to maintain its collectibility, I suggest you keep that way. Also, if you have the boxes and papers, you should keep those. Finally, if you do get it serviced, choose wisely who you go to, as some watchmakers will ruin any collectibility by making your watch look like new, which you do not want.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:56 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks for the prompt and extensive input sir! Yes sir, mine is completely untouched. And i'm not really into watches as investment but for pure love of it. I'm asking for thoughts because this is the only Ling in my stash since i'm more into Zeniths, JLC and few Crowns, but i said to myself, if i would get to have one Breitling, it should be a Navitimer, and the more unique, the better.:) Regarding authenticity sir, would you say i'm safe?:) Thanks again sir, much appreciated.

All the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:13 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I'm no expert on this particular model, but your watch looks authentic to me. The only difference I note between yours and one on the A Collected Man website is that the word "TELEMETRE" is red on theirs and black on yours, but I have seen black wording on others on the Internet.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:02 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

good day sir. the "TELEMETRE" on mine is red too sir, sorry for the poor photo quality since i'm using a jurassic phone. :lol: thanks for the input sir!

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:09 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Good then.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:35 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 65 posts
nice piece!