The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:41 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
There have been a couple of threads here about keeping a Steelfish as a dress watch, and others about fitting a rubber strap presumably to accentuate the sportiness of this watch.

I must admit the Steelfish on the Pro II is a very good looking watch and indeed can be worn under the old DJ with aplomb. It can also be worn on one's 2000m dive over a wet suit presumably, but I for one ain't gonna dive that deep. A quick plunge in the pool to cool is my mark.

I would also say a rubber strap is a bit of a turn off to me, why use one if the Pro II will do the same job? As in keep it on your wrist?

But what really made me think was some posts about keeping the Steelfish for best and using more mundane daily wearers. I bought mine specifically as it is built like a tank, and for the last month or so has hardly been off the wrist. No doubt it will wear, pick up the odd scratch, but in all that time it will be what it is - a tank on my wrist.

I worry about marking my Navi as despite the connotations they are not built for anything more than wearing carefully, none of us get them wet do we?

But, the Breitling Superocean Steelfish X-Plus, the name says it all. I believe if you buy one you should fit and forget. If you worry, buy 2.

:lol:

And loads more cheapies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
:yeahthat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:34 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Tough one innit? Don't get me wrong I take care of my watches but I bought it of a chap who never wore it as he kept it as one of his collection.

When I got it and ever since, I have thought how beautiful it is and maybe, just maybe I should keep it in the winder as a trophy.

But there is no use in that, wear the damn things and enjoy. Watch the videao clips on how they make and service these things, then realise they are meant to be used as timepieces.

Its why we all love 'em.

And loads more cheapies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Amen. I love my Steelfish and although its been on a Diver Pro since I bought it... I have ordered the Pro II bracelet. It will give me a litlle change up once in a while. Too me it is nice enough (on the bracelet or a leather strap) to be a dress watch, while the supreme build, readability and extreme water proofing makes it a great everyday watch.

Scott

Bell & Ross BR03-92 Phantom
Steinhart BreitlingSource LE #5/15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:47 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

I agree with you as far as it being durable goes. I think its the best combination of tool and dress in the Breitling line. It is rugged, yet still has some eye-catching polished surfaces as well. I had mine on the bracelet and thought that would be it--but I decided to try out the rubber,
and I havent switched it back since. the black contrast of the rubber makes the case really pop, while still keeping it rugged and durable (not to mention lighter weight). I dont think ill go back to the bracelet unless im wearing something that requires a bit more dress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
I bought my Steelfish to basically replace the SuperOcean that I had for 10 years. I could have got another SuperOcean, but the Steelfish is just a bit bigger, with a wider bracelet width as well, which I really like. I got the steel bracelet, but I have ordered an Ocean Racer as well. I really think it will suit the watch, especially with the round hour markers on the dial, and the round cutouts on the bracelet. Also the deployable clasp, which is polished stainless, should go well with the polished part of the watch.
As I still have seen no pics of the Steelfish with Ocean Racer, I am quite excited to see how it looks when it comes in. I only have a small camera, but be they good or bad, I promise to post pics.
Cheers,
Carl